The most monumental and dominant builing of Vrboska is the
Fort church ,
situated on a slight rise in the centre of the town. It dates from about 1575
when old church of Sv. Marija (St. Mary) was fortified, this being necessary
because of the constant threat of a Turkish attack.
This fortress, even though as such it is of small dimensions, owing to its
position dominates the view
of the town and the bay, and with the harmony of
the Renaissance architecture, it is one of the most attractive buildings of
its kind on the Dalmatian coast.