Museums and galleries in Split
Split has a long tradition of collecting and caring for monuments.
This interest appeared as early as the Renaissance.
At the beginning of the XVIth century, a collection of Antique stone epitaphs was stored in the
home of the Split nobleman Dmino Papalic (today's City Museum) and they
were described in one of his friend's, Marko Marulic's, tracts.
The Archbishop's Museum was founded by mid-XVIIIth century, and in 1820 the
Archeological Museum, the oldest Croatian Museum.
These were followed by
the other museums and galleries in Split which keep and exhibit various
forms of human achievements in this area where life, pulsating here since
pre-historic times, has created a recognizable of autochtonous creativity
and different outside influences.